7/19/11

Primarycolors Talks Fireflies and Fate


When the opportunity presented itself to interview the author of one of the most popular fics out there at the moment, I didn’t hesitate. Primarycolors, author ofFirefly in Summer, sat down and answered a few pressing questions posed by her fans and me (I’m a huge fan too, by the way).
Summary: Edward finds himself back in the little beach town of his childhood when he inherits the local bar from his uncle. The elusive, pretty girl next door has killer legs, a sketchbook and secrets that are slowly eating her alive.
Rated: M – Angst/Romance – E/B
DH78: Where did the inspiration for Firefly in Summer come from?
PC: Well, the setting of Summerside is modeled after a few real places, most notably Seaside, Florida. I spent some time there as a teenager when Seaside was still very small… it was romantic and quaint, very quiet. The beach cottages really were like lollipops! But for the purposes of creating a setting for the story, well- I threw a lot of “Mayberry” in there too—some old-fashioned, one-street, small Southern town characteristics like Mrs. Cope’s one room grocery, and having to “go into town” for anything big, like art supplies or the movies.
As for the story… it’s just a premise that’s always intrigued me. Having the opportunity to change something in your life… and what the consequences of those changes might be. It could never just be black and white. There would always be sacrifices. 
DH78: What made you want to start writing?
PC: Something I’ve discovered about myself… I think very visually. I’ve read some excellent fics in the past few years and my favorites were always the ones that fed me those tangible clues… color and smell, how something felt under someone’s fingertips, emotional cues. People always seem to give themselves away physically. The best visual cue fic I’ve ever read was in.a.blue.bathrobe’sTropic of Virgo. I could eat that story with a spoon.
When I started rewriting fics in my head as I was reading them… adding those little visual details… that’s when I thought that maybe I should write one for myself. 
DH78: Without spoiling it for everyone, was the big plot twist planned all along, or was it something that came out organically as you were writing?
PC: Every single thing in Firefly in Summer was planned! I had to, in order to keep myself sane. All the details are organic though. The major plot points were not.
DH78: This is for other authors who struggle with updating on a schedule: How do you keep yourself on task when writing, when obvious issues like RL take priority? Do you set a specific time aside to write?
PC: As an artist (my RL occupation) I learned early on to draw something each day, even if it’s only for five minutes. Even though I never considered myself a writer, I discovered that writing is very much the same, especially with a story. 
I’m lucky in that I work from home; so I can move my time around as I see fit. I can also write with kids playing right beside me. I have no idea how I developed that particular magical ability but I’m grateful for it!
I do wish I could write at night… it would be easier. But my head is clearer in the morning. Most days I’ll get up before anyone else, grab some coffee and work on a chapter for an hour or so.
I also keep a notebook in my purse… the scene right before Edward stands with Bella’s sheets in front of the washing machine? I scratched that out with a stubby pencil that desperately needed to be sharpened while waiting for my two little girls to get out of gymnastics class. One of the other moms said, “What on earth are you writing over there? You have the saddest look on your face!” 
DH78: Who’s your favorite character in your story? Why?
PC: I think Edward is my favorite. He changes the most. He’s the only one who will truly be able to appreciate what he has. I also feel like I owe him big time for breaking his heart.
DH78: How long have you been in the fandom? 
PC: I think I opened my Twilighted account in 2008! I lurked and read a lot before I ever ventured out by myself. 
DH78: What was the first ff you ever read?
PC: My first was Amethyst Jackson’s Only Human followed closely by Oxymoronic8’s Innocent, Vigilant, Ordinary.
DH78: Are you reading any ff right now? If so? Wanna rec something you’re loving so far?
PC: Gosh. Well, I have crushes on several authors- which means if they post something, I’m there. Right now I’m in love with twanza’s Love in Idleness. She has the loveliest imagination. The fact that she can back it up with beautiful words is heaven on earth.
DH78: A lot of people were asking this, so I have to put it out there. Feel free to answer as you wish: Are you an HEA girl? The #1 worry from your readers seems to be the nervousness they feel about how this is all going to go down. Any thoughts?
PC: I know that’s a big worry for people! But I’m very conscious of the readers who want to keep things a surprise. A lot of things were righted, but not everything can ever be perfect. I loved SM’s Breaking Dawn, but life just doesn’t turn out like that. However, I do think Edward has been through enough. Let’s just leave it at that.
DH78: What are your ideas about Fate? Do you believe in it? It seems to be the most prevalent theme in your story, besides the obvious relationship between E/B. Do you think everything happens for a reason? Do you think Fate fixes itself? 
PC: Hmm. I think Fate can mean different things for different people. Personally, I feel that there’s a plan, but that I have free will within that plan. If I had Dr. Shan in front of me right now, I might ask him if he really believed his recalculating theory, because it implies that a wrong turn was taken. What if “wrong” were simply relative? We’d never discover anything if we always went where we were told… we learn by doing, by making mistakes, by overcoming adversity. We can either believe that we have no choices, that everything is predetermined, or that Fate or God places certain obstacles in our path so that we can learn, influencing our later decisions, hopefully changing us for the better.
As for how this applies to Firefly in Summer… well, that’s up for discussion. Edward certainly has choices. He’s going to make the most of them.
-DH78

No comments: